Safety Speaker – Rohan Sykes
A workplace accident left father-of-two Rohan Sykes in an induced coma fighting for his life with third-degree burns to 35 per cent of his body.
Rohan now shares his story motivated by the notion that ‘every worker should feel they are entitled to go to work and come home every day’.
A qualified fitter and turner, Rohan was working at a glass bottle factory in Melbourne’s west in 2011 when exposure to radiant heat from molten glass caused his upper body to catch fire.
Rohan explains what happened and how a series of communication failures made his situation even more serious and caused him to end up in an induced coma for three days and hospital for six weeks.
From beating what might have killed him, to battling the guilt of the perceived strain on his young family, to exposing the safety systems that failed him – Rohan’s biggest motivation is his family, but he now wants to ensure that no one has to experience what he has been through!
The accident caused his initial injuries but he has since undergone countless procedures including skin grafts and blood transfusions. His rehabilitation would go on for years. All the while with unwavering love and support from his wife Claire and two daughters, Zoey and Dakota, who were two years old and five months old at the time of the accident.